As any parent will tell you, babies and young children love to explore the world by putting things in their mouth. While most of the time this behaviour is harmless, occasionally they get hold of something dangerous. Just as small objects can cause choking, an alarming number of young children still end up in hospital after swallowing something poisionous.

From medicine to cleaning products – even something as innocuous as shampoo – there are plenty of harmless-looking things around the house that can be dangerous if your child accidentally ingests them. While it is impossible to fully babyproof your home, there are still plenty of steps you can take to keep your little ones safe from poisoning.

While most of us are aware that cleaning items like bleach should always be kept out of the reach of children, there are some items that you might not have thought about, for example, the liquid laundry capsules that you pop in your washing machine.

As ever, supervision is one of the best ways to prevent this kind of accident – something we know isn’t always easy to do. However, the following steps can also help give you peace of mind:

  • Keep all household chemicals – including liquid laundry capsules – out of the sight and reach of children, preferably high up in a locked cupboard
  • Use cupboard latches to keep small children away from potentially dangerous products
  • Always store household cleaning chemicals in their original containers
  • Replace lids and put all products away immediately after use
  • Dispose of unwanted household cleaning products safely.

Remember: If children have accidently ingested medication or household chemicals then medical treatment should be immediately sought.